Wednesday, November 12, 2008

My Bubbles...!

We have a lot of talk today in social circles and the workplace about 'personal space'. People say, "This is my bubble." while waving their hands in a circle around themselves, declaring that they own the space two feet in every direction from their body. I understand and respect this. I don't like people I don't know getting into my personal space. I think this is a good idea, but it should have it's limitations.

This should not be the attitude that we have when it comes to our faith. Many Christians today insulate themselves inside of a stained glass bubble. We want to keep all things holy and righteous inside, and keep every thing else out. Let me illustrate this way...

Take a piece of paper and write down the top 5 things you think represents someone living a Christ-like life. What are the signs that someone is a Christian?

Go ahead...





No, I really mean write it down...





Not just three... all five reasons...





Got it...?





Really...?




Really...?




Ok
, now how many of the answers that you wrote consist of NOT doing things?
Do not lie.
Do not steal.
Do not _______. (fill in the blank)

This is exactly what I'm trying to get at. We have trivialized our faith down to limiting our actions and call that holy!!!

The absence of sin is not the same as the presence of God! Just because we limit our actions (or someone else's) doesn't mean that we have taken away the desire to sin, we have just taken away the opportunity. When the chance comes up, and it will eventually, the desire to sin is still there. We really haven't dealt with the issue.

"Living a lifestyle of faith is not about what you DON"T DO,
but the attitude of what you WILL DO."

- Just a thought.


No comments: