Monday, December 1, 2008

A Thanksgiving Analogy...

I hope that you all had as good of a Thanksgiving vacation as I did. A few days off, a few family members, and a few more pounds of food that I really shouldn't have eaten-that's Thanksgiving to me. In the midst of my gluttonous glee, I had a thought...


It's Thanksgiving, it's OK to over eat; but come January, you're going to fight to lose weight (again).


It seems to me, that sometimes we justify what we want to do, then work twice as hard after the fact to over come or change what we've already done. I think we do the same thing with sin. When there is a wonderful delicious choice of sin in front of us, we say to ourselves, "I'll do it, just this once" and then spend the next day, week, month, or lifetime trying to escape the sin we've already done.

If we are going to live a fully restored and regenerated life of faith in Jesus Christ, we can't be sitting on the see-saw of sin. One day at a time, one moment at a time, one choice at at time, we need to look not just at the immediate reward, but the resounding consequences of our actions and choices, both good and bad.

Because like the Thanksgiving dinner, it will be a lot harder to get rid of the extra weight than it was to shovel down that fourth helping of mashed potatoes.

- Just a thought.