Tuesday, December 16, 2008

What's the big deal about Christmas? (part 2)

Happy Holidays Everyone!!

I realize that I may have just made some of you vomit... (and for that I apologize) ... but, I would like to ask a very serious question...

Why do we get so offended at this term? Isn't there more than one sacred holiday in the final month(s) of the year? Or do we think just b/c we are Christian, that everyone should bow down and realize that we're right, and do it our way?

I'm not trying to be offensive, I'm trying to be real... Do you know, without looking it up, what the official dates for Hanukkah or Ramadan are for 2008? I didn't. I had to look it up. Hanukkah begins on December 21st and Ramadan was actually in September this year.

Now, hats off to Mark for his comment yesterday, although it somewhat stole my thunder for today... the term 'holiday' is a contraction of the words Holy-Day. Now, 'holy' as we know means set-apart, so even those who are saying holiday, are still recognizing that this season is 'holy'.

Now, I realize that there are people who use 'Happy Holidays' to try and de-Christianize the Christmas holiday, and I think that is both ignorant and intolerant...


(slightly rant-ish sidebar)

Like the 'Holiday Tree' thing... Holiday Tree... really... what other 'holiday' in the last quarter of the year uses a decorated tree?! None! It's not a Hanukkah Hedge or a Ramadan Wreath, it's a Christmas tree... So, just call it what it is...

(Deep calming breath)


However, I think it is just as ignorant and intolerant of us to ignore that there are other religions in the world... btw, just b/c we recognize they exist doesn't mean we agree with or support them, we just don't have our heads buried in the spiritual sand... and they have Holy-Days around the same time as our Holy-Day.

Let me be clear, I have and will continue to say Merry Christmas, but I will not become agitated or aggravated to the point of contention by people who use Happy Holidays.

Because let's be honest, how many people are we really going to win to the cause of Christ by making them say Merry Christmas...? So, what's the point?

- Just a thought.

No comments: